Big Smoke is a an organisation which believes in serving the needs of its students to create a supportive, creative, inspiring and productive environment in which workshop participants can:
- Develop their writing skills
- Be placed in a class which suits their interests, abilities, and goals
- Have a fun and enriching experience at each class, workshop or event
- Feel comfortable and confident sharing their work and contributing to group discussions
- Feel comfortable asking questions and sharing their knowledge among peers
- Learn in a student-centric environment, from teachers who are passionate about writing and the teaching of writing
Big Smoke is run by writers, for writers. We believe in quality teaching and workshop facilitation, and collaborate on developing resources for our ‘general’ classes, like our Beginning to Write classes, while bringing our particular expertise in a wide variety of fields to our students through our more specialist courses. We constantly use feedback from students to improve existing classes and develop new ones.
We hold regular Open Days so that potential students can discuss with a member of the team what kind of course might suit their writing needs best, and organise readings and other events to showcase the work of our students and other emerging writers in Ireland.
The Big Smoke Writing Factory has been profiled in The Irish Times, theSunday Business Post, on Mind Your Business (RTE radio 1), Newstalk radio (including the Why We Write documentary series), and Near FM. For media enquiries, please email or phone 087-976-6253.